Saturday, February 19, 2011

Ready to Start

Sometimes I wonder whether I am too dependent on my "friends".

Time and time again I get burnt. Sometimes I might even side my friends over family.
I think I realised that that isn't a smart idea.
When push comes to shove, you can always rely on family. Always.
Friends, not so much.
Perhaps they'll be there to listen to you, but you don't know what they actually think.
Is it in your best interest? Or yours?
At least with family, they will listen and give you their advice. With no hidden benefits for them.

So now, I declare independence. I should be more independent.
Friends just come and go. I should have known that by now. But somehow it just doesn't stick in my head. Perhaps I like to believe in the best of people. But they just disappoint you. It's almost a given.
Perhaps I overanalyse things, perhaps I put too much trust in people. Way too much. Too bad it just blows in my face.

I think perhaps I might have taken my friends for granted. But I can't help but feel it's not that simple. I sometimes think I'm being taken advantage of too.
I was thinking perhaps I'd do something special for my friends on a certain day this year, but fuck that. I'm not doing anything for anyone. Except myself or my family.

On a side note, on a happier tone:
I think I found a new band to like.
Arcade Fire.

Winner of Album of the Year at the Grammys.
I first heard their song in an advertisement for a TV show called Skins. Then I realised it was nominated for AOTY. So I downloaded the album. Though I didn't think it was that good, it was still better than the others in the field.

On Monday, I was delighted they won. So I decided to go back through their back catalog. Neon Bible and Funeral. Both are awesomely good albums.

Then I gave their latest album The Suburbs a try again, and I finally realised why it deserved to win. I don't think I've ever heard an album this complete.

It's quite a large-band. I think I was surprised how there were also female players in the band. I was even more amused that the band mates often play different instruments. In fact in some songs, there are two drummers. How rad is that?

Kudos Arcade Fire. Hope to hear from you soon. Hope you come to Melbourne.